Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 5:00 PM
Replies: 4140 (Who?), Viewed: 188605 times.
Page 166 of 166
Instructor
#4126 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbizarre
Sims living in apartments constantly roll wants to get a roommate, even if there's 8 sims stuffed in a 2-bedroom place.

I think that's related to the household cash--at least it is in my experience. I noticed that whenever the cash at hand gets "low," sims in the household will roll a want to get a roommate--even if they already have one, there's no room to put another bed, etc.--as if they are worried about covering rent.

Low is in quotes, because what they consider low and I consider low are two different things. Plus I don't think it depends on the actual rent of the place--I'll have to keep an eye out for that next, at least. But, from what I have seen, around $3,000 and less is when it starts to pop up. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have enough $ to cover your sims' half of the rent or just barely enough to cover the whole rent--it always shows up about then and persists. But it never seems to appear if you have several thousands in the bank.

For example, I was playing an apartment yesterday, and the rent is about $2,000. I use Monique's computer but had been keeping about $9,000 in the household cash. As soon as my sims went on a clothes shopping spree and the funds dipped less than $3,000, both sims in the household rolled a want for a roommate the next time their wants refreshed.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Mad Poster
#4127 Old 8th Aug 2018 at 10:48 PM
Oh, that makes sense. Because of Cyjon's Bigger Bills, a lot of my Sims often don't have much cash on hand (and those who do tend to squirrel it away in bank accounts).

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Test Subject
#4128 Old 9th Aug 2018 at 7:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
I think that's related to the household cash--at least it is in my experience. I noticed that whenever the cash at hand gets "low," sims in the household will roll a want to get a roommate--even if they already have one, there's no room to put another bed, etc.--as if they are worried about covering rent.

Low is in quotes, because what they consider low and I consider low are two different things. Plus I don't think it depends on the actual rent of the place--I'll have to keep an eye out for that next, at least. But, from what I have seen, around $3,000 and less is when it starts to pop up. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have enough $ to cover your sims' half of the rent or just barely enough to cover the whole rent--it always shows up about then and persists. But it never seems to appear if you have several thousands in the bank.

For example, I was playing an apartment yesterday, and the rent is about $2,000. I use Monique's computer but had been keeping about $9,000 in the household cash. As soon as my sims went on a clothes shopping spree and the funds dipped less than $3,000, both sims in the household rolled a want for a roommate the next time their wants refreshed.

Yep, in the want tree the only trigger is family funds dropping below a certain amount- it says 30, but I've not tried messing with that yet, so I don't know if it's multiplied by something. It might be £300 or £3000? The want's also more likely for Romance, Popularity and Pleasure sims, and (oddly) serious sims. Maybe the idea is that serious sims are more frugal.

As Isa-WP mentioned, the developers seem to have been a bit over-keen for the wants in the later EPs to show up (I guess they wanted to show them off?) so they often have very high weighting, including this one. I'm working on a mod with lots of want tweaks, so I'll add this to the list, although it'll probably be a long time until I'm done!
Lab Assistant
#4129 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 12:52 PM
Now I'm playing a household with a home business - the stupid profit margins in Open for Business. Selling an item with an 'Average' price will still make it more expensive than buying it straight from the catalogue. I'd rather the game limited the amount of customers per day and gave us more realistic profit margins, especially for really cheap items that now will put you in debt if you have employees (it costs to pay a employee to sell a cheap item, considering sims buy only one item at a time and take a fair amount of time to buy even cheap things). You just can't make decent money with a bookstore. Or a hair salon: customers take too much time, can only serve one per chair, profit margins are small if you have employees.
Now I'm on the subject, I wish I could sell telephones and bookcases (instead of books). Books sell for too little and I just want the option to sell bookcases. I guess telephones are unsalable because they sort of act like portals?
Scholar
#4130 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 1:58 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 16th Aug 2018 at 6:42 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa-WP
Now I'm playing a household with a home business - the stupid profit margins in Open for Business. Selling an item with an 'Average' price will still make it more expensive than buying it straight from the catalogue. I'd rather the game limited the amount of customers per day and gave us more realistic profit margins, especially for really cheap items that now will put you in debt if you have employees (it costs to pay a employee to sell a cheap item, considering sims buy only one item at a time and take a fair amount of time to buy even cheap things). You just can't make decent money with a bookstore. Or a hair salon: customers take too much time, can only serve one per chair, profit margins are small if you have employees.
Now I'm on the subject, I wish I could sell telephones and bookcases (instead of books). Books sell for too little and I just want the option to sell bookcases. I guess telephones are unsalable because they sort of act like portals?

Use a Bandatron even if you are selling a good or a service, just don't set the rate very high if you are selling something like goods or services like Hair & Makeup with the Salon Chair.

This will help with the Profit Margin problem, does not really help with anything else, but still it does help.

Also there are some MODs by Squinge http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/board,152.0.html that help with Businesses and SimWardrobe has some object Mods that help. SimWardrobe's Mods

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#4131 Old Yesterday at 1:08 AM
Sims can (autonomously) turn on a TV while lying in bed, but they have to get up to turn it off again.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
#4132 Old Yesterday at 1:58 AM
The flu.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#4133 Old Yesterday at 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Sims can (autonomously) turn on a TV while lying in bed, but they have to get up to turn it off again.

I got so fed up with this that I went through all the hotels in my vacation destinations and replaced each and every bedroom TV with a bookcase. Some of the fancier hotels have a TV in a lobby, but most of the guests will have to satisfy themselves with catching up on a novel or admiring the artwork.
Lab Assistant
#4134 Old Yesterday at 1:27 PM
Thanks lordtyger9, I always forget there are some handy mods out there to help business.
There's something else I forgot to complain about: there's always a shopper who just doesn't want to buy anything and yet keeps coming back. Trying to sell something to them results in a negative sales reaction, but leaving them alone also results in a failed sale and negative customer stars. They also prevent other costumers from buying the thing they're looking at and as long as they're trying to buy something you can't send them away. There's always going to be dissatisfied customers, but no one keeps going to a shop they don't like to the point they start hating it - and then keep coming.
Sigh...
Mad Poster
#4135 Old Yesterday at 1:29 PM
That's when I break out the Visitor Controller and ban them. Same thing with customers who constantly pick fights with the other customers. Denise Jacquet and Melody Tinker have both gotten themselves banned from a few places.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Lab Assistant
#4136 Old Yesterday at 6:22 PM
When ACR stops giving me dialog boxes when sims woohoo. No setting have changed since the last time the game started up, but it just hates me i guess
Mad Poster
#4137 Old Yesterday at 6:53 PM
Take out the ACR controller object. It's under the options somewhere. I wish I could be more specific.

Field Researcher
#4138 Old Yesterday at 11:32 PM
If you mean the trying to try and try for baby dialogs, it'll stop giving the boxes when sims are no longer autonomously trying. If their aspiration/number of kids scores combine in such a way that it's no longer possible for a roll to "pass" the checks, it stops rolling and therefore has no dialog box to show.
Lab Assistant
#4139 Old Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbizarre
Take out the ACR controller object. It's under the options somewhere. I wish I could be more specific.

If you just mean the option to enable the notifications, it's enabled. I've even disabled and reenabled it a few times. Funnily enough though after posting, and without altering any settings, it started to work. Just once, so who knows hopefully it keeps up.
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#4140 Old Yesterday at 11:45 PM
@Isa-WP] there's always a shopper who just doesn't want to buy anything and yet keeps coming back. Trying to sell something to them results in a negative sales reaction, but leaving them alone also results in a failed sale and negative customer stars. They also prevent other costumers from buying the thing they're looking at and as long as they're trying to buy something you can't send them away. There's always going to be dissatisfied customers, but no one keeps going to a shop they don't like to the point they start hating it - and then keep coming.
Sigh...[/QUOTE]

Most times I have my sim go greet>have a chat>say goodbye. Most of my sims are playable though. If the sim is an NPC I click on the business runs you sign and "make bugger off" it's wording lol.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4141 Old Today at 1:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa-WP
there's always a shopper who just doesn't want to buy anything and yet keeps coming back. Trying to sell something to them results in a negative sales reaction, but leaving them alone also results in a failed sale and negative customer stars. They also prevent other costumers from buying the thing they're looking at and as long as they're trying to buy something you can't send them away. There's always going to be dissatisfied customers, but no one keeps going to a shop they don't like to the point they start hating it - and then keep coming.
Sigh...

I like to have a $0 object (for example, I might have a boat from the toybox set for sale, which flags as $0) in shops where this is a problem. Free restock, and though no money is made from its sale, "useless" customers can stay there and slowly build up positive scores from being entertained and talked to - and sometimes the item sells anyway because the algorithm assumes everything costs money.
Page 166 of 166